With more than 100 years of experience in the print industry, Allen-Bailey Tag & Label, Inc. differentiates itself by emphasizing the service we provide to our customers. A family and veteran owned company, we strive to establish and maintain a close working relationship with our customers; many of which have been active for more than one or two generations.
Allen-Bailey meets the customer’s requirements through well designed custom tags and labels, and ensures the customer is pleased with the product’s performance.
Did you know?
- Gene Tonucci continues to serve as President & CEO
- Richard Phelps, Jr. as Owner and Director of Marketing
- Christine O’Brien, a well experienced Avery manager, as Director of Sales
- Mark Eagle as Director of Manufacturing and Safety
In 2013, Allen-Bailey contues to operate Mr. Elmer Floback’s tag letterpresses, flexopresses, the equipment brought in at the time of the Avery Dennison Industrial Tag Division and numerous other pieces of equipment. Total number of employees equals 94.
In 2011, Allen-Bailey celebrated its 100th anniversary. David Beardsley, Director of Manufacturing & Safety retired mid-year after 40 years of dedicated service.
In 2010, Jennifer Phelps Chapman retired and sold her shares to David & Laurie Beardsley and Richard Phelps Jr., making them the remaining shareholders. Gene Tonucci was hired as President & CEO.
In 2006, George Phelps II had an untimely passing. George was on a first name basis with every employee. In his role as President & CEO he continued to see major and long-standing accounts and they missed him dearly after his sad demise.
In 2001, Hugo retired and was succeeded by George Phelps II.
In 1994, Calvin Graziano retired; Hugo Marchi, a former VP of the Industrial Tag Division of Avery Dennison, took over as President of Allen-Bailey. The company gained national recognition as an integral participant within the tag and label industry.
In 1991, Cal Graziano recommended the purchase of the Industrial Tag Division of Avery Dennison located in Framingham, MA. The Board approved and opened a plant and office in Hopkinton, MA to manufacture mostly manifold (bond and carbon tags.)
In 1990, Allen-Bailey created 400,000 Prisoner of War tags for the First Gulf War and also printed the official NASA Space Shuttle Mission decals for that year.
In 1989, Dick Phelps passed away during one of his summer visits north. Mr. Calvin Graziano, a retired Eastman Kodak executive and a consultant to Allen-Bailey, was hired by the Board of Directors to serve as President & CEO.
Other family members remained involved in the company:
- George E. Phelps II moved from his position as Regional Manager of the NYC office to VP of Sales in Caledonia
- David E. Beardsley, husband of Laurie A. Phelps, was the Plant Manager
- Jennifer Phelps was the Director of Customer Service
- Richard G. Phelps Jr. was the Director of Marketing
Early 70s, Third generation owners: George Phelps II, Jennifer Chapman, Laurie & David Beardsley, Richard G. Phelps, Jr.
In 1969, Richard G. Phelps Sr. (Dick), serving in the capacity of salesman in NYC, suffered a serious heart attack which forced him into an early semi-retirement and a move to a southern climate. Dick visited Caledonia each summer to serve as General Manager in addition to his title of President & CEO.
In 1967, the company added “& Label” to its corporate name and modified the “tag Men” in its logo to style one as a label. It was said to be a lady in a pant suit.
In 1964, Allen-Bailey began making labels using a Mark Andy flexopress and proceeded to offer this capability to its existing tag customers.
Did you know? In the 1960s, pressure sensitive labels became relevant as it was no longer sufficient to only have a tag hanging from a product by a string or wire.
In 1958, George Phelps, a two term president of TMI, made a presentation to Mr. Floback in honor of the organization’s 25th Anniversary.
During WWII, Stanley Avery perfected a process where a coating of adhesive could be laid down and a wax paper liner upon that to form a sandwiched construction of Face Material, Adhesive and Liner. It became widely accepted, permeating through all sorts of markets, products, households and thew American culture.
Meet the Sales Force: The company continued to expand, bringing on more salespeople including George’s son Richard G. Phelps, before and after his service in WWII. Their office was at 258 Broadway in NYC.
In 1933, Elmer Floback serves as the first president of the newly formed trade association Tag Manufacturers Institute.
In 1920, Floback offered a New York City sales position to Mr. George Phelps of United Shoe Machinery, with whom he had become acquainted by purchasing the same style of metal eyelets as is used today Phelps remained in NYC for the rest of his career selling to customers such as Macy’s and Bloomingdales, as well as industrial corporations like Allied Chemical and Bordens.
Did you know?
The company fell on hard times and went through several owners until it was purchased by Elmer Floback, mechanical genius, created a machine to process a roll of paper into finished products through one pass of his press. Seven of these presses were installed, revolutionizing Caledonia’s tag manufacturing process.
In 1913, the company moved to the Village of Caledonia to be close to four major railroad lines.
In 1911, Allen-Bailey Tag Co founded by Mr. Samuel Allen & Mr. James Bailey in Dansville, created wooden tags used to identify plants and shrubs for Kelly Bros. Nursery.